How about a big middle finger to my brain! I was so inspired and high on my 20,000 plus words in my WIP, just for life to smack me in the face and shut my brain off. And here we are. Six days since the last time I added any words and what have I been doing the last hour? Writing, deleting, rewriting, deleting and rewriting again the same three sentences.
I knew the writer’s block would inevitably get me at some point but not so damn soon!
Never having dealt with writer’s block really had me in a funk today. The writing high was gone, the light shining over my head, dimmed. After opening my laptop for the umpteenth time and staring at the screen I did what I do best and googled my symptoms. Which sadly confirmed my fears.
Diagnosis: Writer’s block. (Phrase of the writer.) The condition of being unable to think of what to write or how to proceed with writing.
- Go for a walk. (I live in Florida and this would have been a great idea earlier but the sun’s gone down and I can go out there and either be eaten alive by mosquitos, Bobcat or gator. NEXT!)
- Eliminate distractions. (Hahahahahaha! As I hear my four-year-old holler for me from across the house and then shut my husband up when he tries to help. “I wasn’t talking to you. MOM!!!”
- Do something to get your blood flowing, like running. (Hmm, great idea. I get where you’re going with that, ooh but these knees. NEXT!)
- Play. (Psh, easy! Next thing I know I ditched the toddler and her Mickey legos to clean the entire playroom.)
- Change your environment. (I’m in bed instead of the kitchen table, so ✔️)
- Read a book. ( Perfect! Been wanting to read one of my favorite author’s latest releases “What he never knew”. However, my brain chooses this time to turn back on just to remind me how much I suck for not working on my own book right now!)
- Listen to music. (✔️ Currently listening to Lauren Jauregui Expectations. This writer’s block is expecting me to give up but I AM NOT HAVING THAT.
- Freewrite. (✔️ Which is what this is, my freewriting turned into a blog post.)
Oh and countless motivational fuck you writer’s block memes and quotes. Those really put a smile on my face.
And did I mention the amazing #WritingCommunity on Twitter cheering me and motivating me to push through.
Well, I’m feeling better already! I don’t know if I’ll be able to add any words to my WIP but this writing it out has definitely lifted a weight off of my shoulders and got the creative juices flowing.
Have you experienced writer’s block before? How do you overcome it?
As always thank you for reading!